Wednesday, December 10, 2008

DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE / MR BOND / STARCHILD - 1979 @ FOSTER CENTER


This is a real classic tape that SOUL MAN has posted on his site. I have never heard of this one before. Andre Harell who was Diddy's mentor at Uptown, got his start as a rapper in Jekyll & Hyde. They had a big hit record on Profile Records called AM/PM. Check out the description below:

This one is the second part of the Mr. Hyde / Mr. Bond / Starchild / Ronnie Green jam at Foster Center from 1979. I've had like hundreds of old school tapes over the years, but I must say that this is one of my favorites. Not necessarily the best, but I just like the hell out of this schitt. No planned out routines, no harmonizing, no showstopping moments, just the basic essence of Hip Hop- mc rhymes, breakbeats and echo chamber. This dude Starchild, who I never heard of other than on this tape (I'm pretty sure this ain't Kool Kyle), is crazy def with the nursery rhymes; Mr. Bond has the raw b-boy style; and Mr. Hyde kills it on a couple of occassions (Hyde definitely should be mentioned when you talk about the best of the early emcees IMO). And Ronnie Green's beat selection is always fresh to me.
BTW and FYI, Jekyll & Hyde's DJ Ronnie Green is actually better known to some as Captain Rock (yes, the same Captain Rock who had a few electro rap hits back in the 80's).

LIVE 1979
http://www.divshare.com/download/6051544-49f

No comments: